THE MILE SQUARE PLAN

Plat of the Town of Indianapolis 1821

Land was donated to the new State of Indiana by the Federal Enabling Act in 1816. In 1820, the Indiana General Assembly appointed a commission who chose a site for a new, permanent capital and appointed Alexander Ralston, apprentice to Pierre L’Enfant, the planner of Washington D.C., as surveyor. He created the “Mile Square” plat shown above in 1821.

BRIEF TIMELINE

Indianapolis Brief Timeline