|THE MILE SQUARE
The Mile Square was the original area of the plan for the city from 1820. Each side of the square that makes up the area is one mile in length. Today, it is the heart of Downtown with its Central Business District and a large number of regional destinations, major employers, residents, commerce and cultural and historic sites.
Governor’s Square is the name given to the four blocks that surround the Circle, and is bounded by Ohio, Pennsylvania, Washington and Illinois streets. It is the current focus for ideas for the Idea Competition. This is not a hard boundary to limit ideas, but there must be at least an idea within this space.
The red-bricked area of the Mile Square was created in the late 1970s.
The Circle is a four-acre space set aside by surveyor Alexander Ralston, who assisted in the planning of Washington D.C., and was later chosen to lay out the main thoroughfares for Indianapolis. It is at the center of the city for the original purpose of a Governor’s House. Rights of way owned by the city fall between the line of bollards and trees that surround the Soldiers and Sailors Monument outward to the building faces at the outer perimeter. This right of way is managed and maintained by the Indianapolis Department of Pubic Works with the help of Indianapolis Downtown, Inc. The state owns, cares for, operates and preserves the monument grounds inside the line of the bollards.